Friday, February 8, 2008

Copy This Interbrand.


I'm trying really hard not to make a negative comment about the new Xerox identity. For this entry I'm going to pretend that I was in just one of the many Interbrand creative review session over the course of the 2 years that this new identity was in development and a designer on my team brought this to our group for direction. What would I have said?

Hmmmm? Not knowing what the brief may or may not of said I'm pretty sure it didn't say take a look at the XBox logo for inspiration. Assuming this I would of kindly asked to see his/hers pencil sketches to see the rationale of how they got here. Then they probably would of said "oh... I don't have any of those". I would of then asked to see any research that they may of done. I can only guess that there would be the new AT&T logo along with the XBox logo and maybe even the .mac icon that a lot of us stare at everyday. I know I'm focusing on the icon but it really is the idea in this execution. 

Next question... "So do we have a good reason to have 3 Xs in the logo?" 

Moving on to the typography it's not all that bad but it really does take a back seat to the icon. I wonder where they may have found the inspiration for the logotype? Kodak perhaps? I'm going to stop here because it's Friday and I don't want to get too upset over this.

The bottom line is that Xerox is still a copy company. 

No comments: