Monday, March 31, 2008

Creatives Beware

Starbucks recently launched a new social media site called My Starbucks Idea (MyStarbucksIdea.com) that is designed to give customers a voice in shaping the future of Starbucks. 

I do like the broad concept because it gives the customer a direct link into the company and it's a very smart way to do some market research. But the more I thought about the purpose of the site Startbucks is really just looking for FREE ideas to better their company. I'm not a huge fan of this especially because there's really nothing in it for the idea generator besides a little personal satisfaction. Seems hardly enough if someone actually comes to them with a really great idea.

I guess my point to all of this is that as a creative community we are supposed to get paid for our ideas and creative thinking. I hope that Corporate America doesn't continue to turn creative solutions into a commodity.

No comments: